Monday, February 23, 2015

Neot Kedumim: Pleasant Pastures of Old

     What an amazing opportunity! We got to go to Neot Kedumim to learn about the wildlife in the bible. It is a nature preserve of about 600 acres that contains every plant mentioned in the bible. The goal is try and experience what the landscape of Israel would have been in ancient days. The plants weren't in neat rows all labeled, it looked like you were out in the wild. It was so great! Ancient cities are beautiful but sometimes you just need to get away and enjoy some time in nature. That's definitely what this day was.
     After learning about a lot of plants, their roots, and other words that stem from them, it really made me want to learn Hebrew so I can read the bible in it's original language. We miss so much through translation! It also made me realize that we really could spend a lifetime studying this book and not get all the symbolism or meanings that are hidden in it.
     We also got the opportunity to herd sheep and goats. There were a series of different "tasks" we were supposed to complete. Like separating the sheep from goats and then getting them from one circle to another without them falling in the lava (Israel is more dangerous than you thought!)







This guy was my friend










     At one point we got to grind up hyssop which is actually Zatar. Let me tell you about Zatar. It is amazing. That's pretty much all you need to know but I'll keep going because I can. It's a spice that they put on everything here. You can buy bread on the street and they give you little packets of Zatar. I have it every night on some pita for dinner. It's great on potatoes, in soup, in rice, you name it and it can be improved by Zatar. I think this might be what I miss most when I go back home. I will definitely have to find some in the states.



     The highlight of the day was probably lunch. Lentil soup, pita, and frikka were all made by hand and cooked over a fire. There were no instructions so we just went for it! We ended up with some pie crust instead of pita but once we worked that out everything was great!

Kyle getting some wood for the fire


The men made a great fire and the women made some great food!

Cooking our pie crust and pita



This was the beginning of the frikka. So good! It is wheat that you roast then add date syrup. It makes a sweet crunchy snack. Another thing I want to make once I get home






     Our last stop was to learn about Torah scrolls. We got to meet a Torah scribe and learn a little about the tradition.


This is a Torah scroll from the 6th century. 

     I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to come to Israel and learn about all aspects of the bible. It really adds so much to my understanding. Anyone who has the opportunity to come here should!

Until my next adventure,
Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment