Monday, January 19, 2015

Bearing Heavy Burdens

    My group spent a little of our free day commemorating Christ's walk through the city on his way to Golgotha. This city is full of history and memories. While I may not always believe in all the traditions or worship the same way as others in the city, I love to admire their devotion to these sights. 

    The first stop was called "Simon of Cyrene" In Mark 15:21 it says "And they compel one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear his cross" There is a dent in one of the stones where some believe that Simon stumbled and the cross fell against the wall leaving a mark. Many come to this sight to pray and touch the stone. If you live in the city, you touch the stone every time you go past. While we don't travel this road often, I tried to touch it each time I passed. I will say one thing about Jerusalem and their many religious traditions and sights, it really helps keep the Lord on your mind. Even if I don't believe this dent was actually made by the cross of Jesus, that stone is a reminder of what he did for me and every other person who has ever lived. 

A group of Christian tourists praying at the door

Me touching the stone

The group I went with. Kelcie got a little cut off!

    The next sight we visited is where Jesus met Mary on his walk. This one had a beautiful Armenian church in remembrance of this event. 

Inside the courtyard, above the archway there were herbs hanging. I kept trying to ask why they were there but the people just kept telling me that this was where Jesus met his mother. Sometimes the language barrier is really difficult. 

This was in the basement. The top floor was reserved for praying and worshiping.

If you can't tell, those are sandals in the tile. They are in the exact spot where Jesus stood as he met Mary.

     As I said before, I may not believe all the traditions that are held by many Christians here but I do appreciate what they do for the people. 

Until my next adventure,
Lindy

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, even if that wasn't the exact same spot...it still shows that it was an important enough event to them then to remember the story and pass it on and remember the spot so that it could be a tradition and story remembered and told 2,000 years later. So maybe it really is the exact spot.

    ReplyDelete