Saturday, January 10, 2015

Garden Tomb

    We finally got to leave the center today!!! It was so great to see the City. Quick side note: our Sabbath is actually on Saturday. So today we had church and then got to walk to the Garden Tomb. It was so great to see the city but that is another post.
    It was only about a 10 minute walk. How cool is that!? It was really crazy how we were in the city with the people and the smoke and the shops and the noise and then--we were just isolated and quiet and peaceful. Very neat. We had an awesome guide who gave us a lot of biblical and historical evidence as to why they think this was where Christ was crucified, buried, and resurrected. I can't wait to go back in a smaller group when I can spend a little more time. Also, when I'm not freezing to death. Once again, the weather here has not been great.
    Side note: This building is not made for cold weather. It is stone and windows and sucks all heat from you.


Do you see the skull in the mountain. They said that Christ was crucified on a hill with a skull. That's what Calvary means. That's one reason why they think he was crucified here. Just below this picture is a bus station. Kind of weird to have it that close to the city. 



A well in the garden

The tomb that they believe Jesus was buried in

A wine press close by

The rut that the tombstone went in
Inside the tomb


The tomb was just off to the right. It was a very pretty area.


Sorry, I don't know how to rotate it. A little help from my sisters?

Sign to the entrance to the alley


Until my next adventure,
Lindy

3 comments:

  1. Do they not have heat in the building? The flowers don't look worse for the snow. You look great in those pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to rotate the pics before adding them into the post. I love the pictures and how awesome that you live so close! That place is on my top ten to see. And, who knew you could get so cold there?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got goosebumps just seeing the pictures and you actually there in such a sacred place. I hope you get to go back and spend more time there.

      Delete