This is the place where Jacob wrestled with an angel and got his name changed to Israel. It is also called Penuiel in the Bible. Penuiel means the "face of God." When Jacob enters the presence of God, this spot becomes a temple. When we go to the temple today the purpose is still to enter the presence of God.
I will say, it felt really good to be back by the river. Besides the color, it felt a lot like Big Smokey! It was about the same size and had really similar scenery.
That's actually Rorie Hewitt sitting on the rock!
After that we went to my guide's hometown of Jerash. I say that because he said it about 2382 times a day. He was really proud of his hometown. This didn't make a ton of sense until I actually saw it. I would be proud of it too! Jerash was one of the coolest things we saw on that trip. Going by Jershon in the Old Testament, the city of Jerash is one of the largest Greek/Roman cities in the world. This is what Jerusalem would have looked like during Jesus' time. It was amazing!! The pictures don't really do it justice but it's the best I've got!
This was the hippodrome where all the games would take place.
We had a little race between classes. Our girls were close but our boys were killed!
This is part of the forum. The big open area right as you walk into the city.
The Temple of Zeus
They had stacks of ruins everywhere here! They just haven't reconstructed it yet.
This is the Nymphia which is the main fountain area of the city.
The pillars lining the Cardo
Cardo
The view overlooking the forum and Cardo from the Temple of Zeus
The entrance to the city.
Until my next adventure,
Lindy
It looks deserted to me. I thought you said he lived there?
ReplyDeleteWell, these are just the ruins. There is a whole city around them!
ReplyDelete