Amman was full of great treasures! One perk of being in the Middle East is that you actually get ruins and architecture from all over the world. Here is another great example! This theater could seat about 6,000 people. The size of it was pretty amazing. Our guide stood in the center and we could hear him clear from the top even when he was just talking in a normal voice. Super cool.
The Greek actor was called a hypocrite. Why? There was never enough actors for all the parts in a play and so one actor would play many parts. Well, the audience needed a way to know which part the actor was playing and so they would put on different masks. Actors make their living by being someone they're not. When Christ tells us to not be like the hypocrites, he is telling us to not wear masks and not change who we are depending on where we are. It's worth taking a minute and asking yourself if your actions are reflecting your heart.
The seating
Classic Roman Statues
A view of the Theater from Hercule's Temple
On to our next culture/country/experience. We stopped at the King Hussein Mosque. Because of the religious tensions in Jerusalem, it is hard/impossible for us to go to any mosques. We took this opportunity to be able to have a quick tour and explanation while in Jordan. One thing I love about the mosque was the "art." To avoid worshiping idols, they have no pictures of people. Instead, calligraphy has become their form of art. I think the calligraphy on the mosques here is amazing.
Were there real Roman statues, or just you guys? I just ordered my art history book from college and I am stoked. Love that stuff. I'm gonna look and see if there is anything from where you are. And the heart bit...that is something I think about often. It is easy to say, "I want to do xyz, the desire is there, but my kids and my job and school and money and blah blah blah....but the Lord knows my heart." But really, what we do is a reflection of our heart and our desires. If we really wanted to do something we would make it happen. Hmmm...do I really want to get back into shape or do I just say I want to? : )
ReplyDeleteWe were the only Roman statues ;) But it was a real Roman Theater! I think this trip has definitely done a good job at helping me see where my heart really lies. I feel the same as you quite a bit! If I didn't have work and school and a calling and blah blah blah. I'm starting to see though that maybe my actions are more reflective than I thought.
ReplyDelete