The streets of Christian Quarter
When we got to the Terra Sancta, they were performing the Washing of the Feet Ceremony. The Egyptian Coptic Church had come to Israel just to be able to hold their services in this church. Up to this point, I was convinced I had actually learned a different language in High School. I could never understand anything the Palestinians said to me and they just made fun of my "fancy" Arabic when I spoke to them. As soon as I heard the Egyptians speak it was like music to my hears! I could actually understand part of it!
The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer. The inside of Lutheran churches are much more simple and plain than Catholic churches.
The view from the tower of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
There was a hidden courtyard in the Church of the Redeemer. It was so picturesque. I just wish I could have captured it.
We ended the day at Alexander Nevsky--a Russian church. This opening in the wall is known as the Eye of the Needle. Passing through it is a ritual that people will travel thousands of miles to perform. It is a way to symbolically show God that you are willing to humble yourself and submit to His will. "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God" (Matthew 19: 24)
Until my next adventure,
Lindy
No comments:
Post a Comment