Friday, March 27, 2015

A City Set Upon a Hill

    Gamla, named so because it looks like a camel's hump, is easily seen from the Mt. of Beatitudes. It is likely that it was this city that Jesus was referring to when he taught, "A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid" (Matthew 5:14). During the First Jewish Revolt, Gamla was the last Galilean city that the Romans besieged and destroyed. Instead of being captured, many Jews jumped to their deaths off the side of the steep cliffs surrounding 3 sides. But let's not focus on that.
    We were set free and allowed to hike all around the hill. The wind up there was crazy! You seriously felt like it was going to blow you off the side. I was thinking about the fact that this was the city set upon a hill. It was meant to be an example and "let its light shine." In this world we are attacked by winds from all directions. Some of them are really strong! At times we may feel like a gust is going to blow us over the edge but we have to stand strong and be an example to those around us.

Gamla is the little hill in the middle of the other two hills.

What you can't see is just behind that rock is a straight drop-off

My hiking crew!

I was really excited when I figured out this is the Camel's Back of Israel. I wanted to take a picture for my family....this is about the 10th one and I'm still not pointing to it. Just imagine my finger a little lower and to the left. 



Until my next adventure,
Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment