Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Magdala

    Magdala: the hometown of Mary Magdalene. As silly as it may seem, this was one of my favorite stops. Now it probably doesn't seem silly unless you've been there. There is a tiny little spot that has been excavated, a whole lot of rocks, and then brand new church. The church doesn't have any of splendor or magnificence of the old Catholic churches. Instead, this is a very simple church honoring the women of the bible. I didn't even like it because of the whole woman thing either. I think it was the plainness and light that really captured me.
    Most catholic churches are dark, lit only with lamps and stained glass, and gaudy beyond belief. Every spare inch is covered with pictures, shrines, beads, tapestry, you name it, it's on the wall! This one was the opposite. There were huge windows that filled the entire church with sunlight. The walls were bare for the most part. Along the sides were little chapels that had mosaics in each room but not much else. I just really loved this church.





The architecture in this church was breathtaking. As you walked into the chapel, the tile resembled sand, the stage was a green marble that looked just like the lake, and then the pulpit was the ship. I loved the imagery of the crowds being taught by Jesus while he was on a boat.







The woman at the well




Christ and Peter walking on water





In the main entrance, there were pillars circling the room. Each had the name of a different woman from the bible. Of course I had to get my picture next to Mary Magdalene's.










Until my next adventure,
Lindy

No comments:

Post a Comment