Monday, March 9, 2015

Obelisks, Cisterns, and Palaces

     Instead of going to Egypt for the program, we came to Turkey. But we did get to have just a taste of Egypt. Emperor Theodosius moved Thutmose III obelisk from the Karnak temple in Egypt to the Hippodrome in Istanbul.



     Under the streets is a giant cistern. I was blown away by the size of this. I've seen a lot of cisterns in my day and this one takes the cake! In fact, it is so big that the James Bond movie, From Russia with Love, was filmed in it.



     Our last stop was a place called Topkapi Palace. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures at a lot of the places within it. There was a really neat weapons room that dad would have loved! I also so an 86 carat diamond!! I stole a picture from the internet so you could see it. 


These are our, "it's really cold out here and we want to go back into the warm weapons room so we don't die" faces



Until my next adventure,
Lindy


No comments:

Post a Comment